Thursday, February 19, 2009

A lil cultural exchange

I felt the need to share my latest in cultural sharing and teaching: the young English teacher in my school Ramon, always likes to practice English with me and most days I indulge him. Today was one of those days.
Ramon: Oh, your sweating.
Me: (sweaty and annoyed) Wow, thanks.
Ramon: (looking slightly confused) Huh? but...?
Me: Yes, I was using what we call sarcasm there.
Ramon: Yes I thought so, that was what i was thinking.
Me: (still sweating) Yes, it is very rude to tell someone to their face they`re sweating.
Ramon: Yes, but its culturally ok in Spanish.
Me: Yes, but we`re speaking in English and its still offensive.
Ramon: You know your sarcasm could be rude in Spanish.
Me: I know. But we`re still speaking in English.
Ramon: Ok, I have an article at home about sarcasm, I am going to study it.
Me: Ok.
While this exchange might appear rude and impatient I felt it necesary to share my cultural feelings of the subject of constant comments on my pituary glands. I am in fact fulfilling a goal of PC by sharing and teaching what it is to be an American and this American can be quite sarcastic (as you all know) and is always sweating as there are no fans, if there are they do not work because usually there is no electricity and there is no breeze, if there is it dies in the CB builiding that is my school.

hasta luego
A

No comments: