Thursday, February 19, 2009

Bibliotecas and carnavale!

Bienvenidos a 2009!!! Greetings and salutations from the DR! Needless to say its been awhile and its still mindblowing to think that it is 2009. More mindblowing that Feb 27th I will have completed 1 year living, working and playing in the DR. As always, let's play catch-up: The Baseman family brought a lil slice of America to me here in the DR por La Navidad. I brought Alan, Lil Jo and Aaron to Fantino, where they met Daniel (novio/boyfriend) which went very well minus the whole language barrier and showed them around town (what there is to show for that matter.) We went to the house where I lived when I first moved to site. Like all good Domincan Donas we were promptly served coffee and like all good Domincan cafe it was super sweet although she thought she made it amargo (bitter). Alan, Jo and Aaron all concurred later, that no, in fact it was quite sugary. After an afternoon of Fantino, we went to the Church of the Holy Game of Baseball: went to a ballgame in Santiago which was lots of fun and ironic because the other "gringos" we saw there happened to be another PCV on vacay with her family. After an Aguilias victory we bid Daniel adios and made our way back to the beach in Puerta Plata and stayed there and enjoyed for the rest of the week. The hotel was incredible but it was kinda weird because I kept finding myself speaking Espanol to people who I know speak English, therefore I kept getting: Baseman family member: Ari, you go talk to them, explain etcetcMe: They speak English.BFM: Yea but...Me: Ok. The week's end came too quickly and with a few tears I said adios once again to mi familia and headed back to reality (well my reality) in Fantino. I rang in the New Year with some other Volunteers in Cabarete Beach which was awesome, watched the GATORS win ANOTHER BCS CHAMPIONSHIP and perhaps most important of all got goosebumps and slightly choked up watching Obama take office. Now that February has rolled in, I am trying another round of proyectos. I have ditched the English classes for now as well as the Newspaper. However, I have found a GREAT project that I am very excited about: Renovating the Municipal Library here in Fantino. The library here is right next door to my house and while there are books they are from 1492. The paint is terrible, the doors are roted out and people barely know that the place is open for bizness. SO, I met with the main "librarian" and he, myself and another gent have formed a Library commitee. We had meeting this week to discuss goals, needs and an action plan if you will. This Monday we are going to attempt to meet with the Mayor and present our project and hopefully really get the ball rolling. My hope is to get some new books, fresh paint, paint map murals of the DR and the world, get new doors and few other ideas that will take time and money...but we have a start. As far as my work in informatica, we are trying to start with classes in the beginning of March and if I can work it right I won't be teaching, but rather facilitating the teachers and doing some managment if you will. I was hopeful to commence with try numero dos in regards to the youth group but since the highschool teachers aren't being paid, they are on break right now so for the moment so is my youth group. I got some other ideas marinating, but I'm trying to focus on the two projects ahead of me now and put all my esfuerzo (effort) into them... Also exciting about Febrero: Febrero equals Carnavale! Therefore, every sunday different groups dress up in various costumes and dance around and drink lots and lots of Presidente and Brugal...this all comes to a head Feb 27th Independance Day with a HUGE parade with said groups and said intoxication...should be an interesting month. Hope this finds everyone well. oh yea...write me people! Much love,A

No comments: